In 1856, Edward Johnson, the owner of the Brighton Hotel, was granted permission for use of Brighton Beach for swimming. On the 5th of January 1857, Johnson provided the colony with the first Bathing Machine. This allowed the public an opportunity to swim while maintaining the modesty required for the time. This machine was known as the ‘Mermaid’, and was a shed on wheels 3.048m (10 feet) by 1.6764m (5 feet 6 inches) with seating inside. People were charged for the use of the Mermaid, with fees of one shilling (10 cents) for adults and sixpence (5 cents) for children.