In the 1830s, the pools located south of Pulpit Rock at Flagstaff Hill were mainly used by ladies and children. In 1842 Governor Gipps ordered that the pool be improved and a path to the pools be constructed. Ropes were added over the cove to aid swimmers. In 1897 chains replaced these ropes, and the pool became known as the Chain Baths. In the 20th century the Chain Baths were mainly used by the nuns from a nearby convent and it underwent another name change, becoming known as the Nun’s Pool. Remains of the pool wall, path, dressing sheds and chain attachments can still be seen today.