By 1856, women and children began using the Bathing Pool on the south side of Flagstaff Hill. In 1877 this pool became formally known as the 'Ladies Pool'. On the rock shelf (to the west of the pool) was a timber dressing shed, as well as some steps leading down to the baths. The Ladies Pool was deepened in 1887 providing a more suitable bathing area. The baths continue to be in use today (although for slightly different purposes).